Sunday, July 13, 2008

Bowled over by Bario


A WORLD without Strangers” was something I read on a T-shirt worn by a teenager in Bario.

For those who are not acquainted with the place, Bario is located in Sarawak and the only practical access to it is a 55 minute plane ride from the oil-rich town of Miri. Because it is deep in the heart of Borneo, the only other way to get there is through logging treks which would take about 16-20 hours, if you are lucky to survive the journey.

I went there for a short spell – a work plus pleasure kind of stint – and it was enriching, to say the least. I am ashamed to admit that if not for having had to make that trip, an assignment I could not avoid, I would not have ever made it there.

Why go there, I would have thought, unless, of course, one has nothing better to do than to take time out to “get back to basics”.

But guess what? The trip was a revelation. It was humbling. Bario is one of the most beautiful places on God’s Earth and I feel so grateful for the opportunity to have spent three wonderful days there.

Continue reading (incl. pic) at: Bowled over by Bario

No comments: