Thursday, May 03, 2012

Best Western Sandakan - Just like a resort


AS soon as I arrive at the Best Western Sandakan Hotel and Residence atrium (like a lobby), I feel like I’m at a resort.

The hotel occupies two blocks of shop houses, divided in the middle by the atrium. The decision not to have an open concept at the atrium certainly makes it friendly and inviting as it doesn’t intimidate you the way some luxury hotels do. Its simple architecture, high ceilings and vertical draping in vibrant colours make you feel instantly rejuvenated.

Outside, the hotel is painted purple with splotches of other colours thrown in for good effect. The staff welcomes you with fresh face towels and a drink and friendly smiles.

I just know that I will be having an enjoyable stay here.

I walk into my deluxe room. The sheets are new. The toilet is so spacious you can throw a party in there, although it may not be a good idea.

My deluxe room is equipped with free WiFi and high speed broadband, IDD telephone, LCD with satellite channels, coffee and tea-making facilities, in-room digital safe, bathrooms with rain shower, hair dryer, mini bar, iron and ironing board and computerised key-card access.

For a hotel that’s rated three-star, it is certainly value-for-money.

The room is huge, with a living room. Right across is the bed. It is separated by a half-wall. The LCD television is placed in between the living room and the bedroom. It can fully spin so that you can watch it from wherever you are, even if you’re in the bathroom.

I look outside my window and I can see that this new commercial area is going to be busy soon. Most of the shops are not occupied yet but a minute walk across and you are at Hameed Nasi Kandar. It opens until 1am.

All the standard, superior and deluxe rooms occupy the first floor. The hotel also has two family suites.

Continue reading (Incl. Pics) at: Best Western Sandakan - Just like a resort
.
.