Thursday, February 18, 2016

Road Scholar - A Wild Time in Borneo


All signs point to a pretty wild time here in Borneo. Snorkeling around the islands of Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park was on the agenda for our first day in Kota Kinabalu.

We rode over in the boat with some Chinese tourists. I’ve been told that this is the first generation of Chinese to really travel for pleasure and they’re still getting the hang of the whole idea. I did think the lace gloves on a snorkeling outing were an interesting accessory, but whatever…

In the morning, the water was a bit too rough for snorkeling off the boat so we went right from the beaches on the islands.

This time, I actually remembered to bring the underwater camera. Unfortunately, however, sometime between now and the last time I actually remembered to bring it, it apparently stopped working.

The fact is, it never did the underwater views justice anyway, so you’ll just have to believe me when I tell you that the coral gardens were spectacularly gorgeous and the fish beautifully colorful.

The sea urchins here were also glowing, though not quite to the extent of the ones we saw in the Philippines, and we also saw a couple of giant clams (which was a first for me). Mariah said she saw some clown fish, too, though I missed those.

While the snorkeling was certainly fine, the highlights of the day occurred on Sapi Island where we stopped for lunch.

First, I came upon these two monkeys copulating. It was over very fast however (rude comment contemplated here, but discarded) and I couldn’t get my camera out in time. What you see here is the “afterglow.”

Continue reading (Incl. Pics) at: Road Scholar - A Wild Time in Borneo
.
.